Discussion Group Rules & Etiquette
Thank you for being part of our community. To ensure the best possible experience for all members, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.
By joining and using this community, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines. You also agree to reserve discussions and shared files and content to that best suited to the medium - for all intents and purposes a digital, public, permanent record of conversations associated directly with your real name. Please be courteous and prudent. Questions should be directed to the Membership & Programs department via the Contact Us link on this site.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. In order to preserve a climate that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate membership in this community for anyone who violate these rules.
- Do not make personal attacks. The discussions and comments should serve to encourage collaboration and open discussion. Let others have their say, just as you may have yours.
- Do not post commercial messages on any discussion group, resource library entry, or other area where others might see it. Contact individuals directly with product and service information if you believe it would help them. Please use caution when discussing products. Information posted in communities and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Please note carefully all items listed in the disclaimer and legal rules below, particularly regarding the copyright ownership of information posted.
- Remember that other participants have the right to reproduce postings to this site unless you specify otherwise.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate communities or libraries. Posting to more than 2 or 3 groups is not appropriate. We reserve the right to reject any message for any reason.
- Give your post a clear and concise subject. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Do not post administrative messages, such as “remove me from the community.” Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a community.
- Read the discussion and those on similar subjects to determine if your question or comment has already been covered.
- Within reason, stay on topic.
- Use plain text to ensure posts are readable by all.
- When replying to a post, limit the length of your quotation.
- In general, use proper spelling, grammar, punctuation, and diction. Please avoid stylistic choices such as the use of caps lock (shouting), slang, and multiple exclamation points.
The Legal Stuff
This site is provided as a service for the members of American Mathematical Society. American Mathematical Society is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. We disclaim all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by American Mathematical Society or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall American Mathematical Society be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants American Mathematical Society and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
American Mathematical Society does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of American Mathematical Society we will take all appropriate action.
The American Mathematical Society reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.